As a little girl, I was fearless. In my mind there was nothing I could not do. I took it as a challenge if anyone told me otherwise. In the safety of childhood I felt free to get dirty, make mistakes and create mischief whenever an opportunity arose.
I cannot pinpoint exactly when it happened, but somewhere along my journey that bold, feisty little girl learned that holding back brought a sense of safety. That risk sometimes led to pain, both emotional and physical. That setting limitations lessened the chance of disappointment. That change was not always a good thing and should be feared.
As time passed, I let fear cripple me. I let life sweep me along, content most of the time to be along for the ride. My life become a waiting game. Waiting for things I dearly wanted to happen, and feeling like those things were completely dependent on others.
For most people it takes a major life event to shake them out of their complacency. For me, it was a divorce I did not ask for but needed. Being on my own forced me to truly examine my life. I realized that all the amazing adventures I had was a result of someone else's dreams. Most of my identity was tied to another person. When that person was gone, I felt like I had lost myself and had been set adrift with no destination.
The journey of self discovery and reinvention is not easy. At times I felt on the verge of drowning. During that time of uncertainty, what I did know was that I had a choice. I had to decide if I would drown or stay afloat. And so I started to swim.
Slowly, I rebuilt a life I felt proud of. Time started to fly by and although I started to feel content again, I also started to feel a sense of unease. I had come a long way, but I was no closer to what I really wanted. I shied away from these thoughts for months, knowing that acknowledging them would lead to more change. I could feel myself nearing the edge of a cliff and since I'm afraid of heights, I wanted to avoid that cliff at all costs.
And then I read My Year with Eleanor: A Memoir over Christmas break. While reading that book, I could no longer deny I was letting fear influence my decisions. Fear was preventing me from moving forward. This book made me think about the little girl I used to be. She would probably roll her eyes at me and call me a wuss. And so I decided to take a running leap off that cliff.
A very wise friend recently asked me who I would be if I had no fear. The honest answer is: I don't know. But I am now ready to find out.



As someone who knew you as a little girl I am elated for all you have in store for you. You are fearless!
ReplyDeleteAs your younger sister you have always been fearless to me! I wanted to grow up to be just like my sisters!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful Becca! Congrats you made it back to blogging. I'm so proud of you and everything you are learning right now. You truly are fearless!!:)
ReplyDeleteI wish I had. No fear sometimes. I know it takes a lot to not have fear but I'm proud of you but miss your like crazy.
ReplyDelete